"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Twenty-Five Days of Praise- Day Three: A Favorite Poem

Psalm 89:1-- "I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord, forever;  with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations."

I have to admit it-- I love poetry.  I have a few poem collections that I meander through quite often.

One of my absolute favorites is called Sitting By My Laughing Fire, a compilation of the poetry of Ruth Bell Graham.  I also have several books that include the poems of Amy Carmichael, the English missionary that rescued girls from the temples in India and began the Donhavur Fellowship.  For day three of the twenty-five days of praise, I decided to include one of Amy Carmichael's poems found in her book Edges of His Ways.


O praise the Lord, for it is good
      And pleasant and a joyful thing
To lift the heart as all men should
     Who have so dear a Lord to sing.


The number of the stars He tells,
     And calls each star by his own name:
No two of all His flowery bells
     Or leaves or grasses are the same.


So individual is His thought
     For all of us, did one let go
The hand of Joy, and sore distraught
     Forget to sing, His heart would know.


From rainbow did a color float,
     Or did a shining sun burn dim,
That were far less for Him to note
     Than dumbness of a child to Him.


O save from that!  Let grateful song
      And jubilance of melody,
And loving merry-makings throng
      The road that leads us home to Thee.

No comments: