"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Twenty-Five Days of Praise- Day Four: An Advocate

I John 2: 1-- "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.  But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

There are many things I have learned during my years as the wife of an attorney.  I have learned that it is hard to out-argue a man that is quite skilled at making valid arguments.  I have learned that I am sometimes very quick to judge a situation when there is often much more there than meets the eye.  I have learned much about the protections afforded an individual in our court system- even if the accused has pled guilty.  Our constitution guarantees each citizen wise and competent counsel.  Our constitution guarantees each citizen an advocate, whether they are guilty or innocent, deserving or undeserving, lovely or unlovely.

As Paul has practiced law throughout our marriage, I have observed first-hand what it is to have an advocate in a courtroom.   He is often the only person pleading for the cause of an individual or speaking on their behalf.  I think he especially loves being an advocate for those that truly have no other means of help.  I don't often know much about his cases.  Once in awhile, however, he is able to share a bit with me, and I am always amazed at how seriously he takes his job as an advocate.

In Job 9: 32, 33, Job speaks of God when he says, "For He is not a man, as I am, that I might answer Him, that we should come to trial together.  There is no arbiter between us, who might lay his hand on us both." (ESV) Job is pleading for an advocate between himself and God, someone that might present his case and come alongside him.  Really, Job is pleading for Christ.

I never expected to learn so much about the gospel being married to an attorney, but I am continually struck by the fact that I have an Advocate with God the Father.  Despite my guilt, Jesus is my Advocate before God.  As the hymn "Before the Throne of God Above" so beautifully says, He "ever lives and pleads for me".  Not only do I have an Advocate, but he is a righteous Advocate that also took the punishment for my sin and guilt.  He stands before the Father pleading on my behalf on the basis of His righteousness.

I am overwhelmed with thankfulness today for my Advocate, Jesus Christ.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great High Priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.


My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heav'n He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
                   --Vickie Cook

No comments: