"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Friday, August 9, 2013

From Tricycle to Mercedes

I just got a new cell phone last weekend.

It is amazing to type that sentence.  I have had the same Pterodactyl of a pre-paid phone for more than seven years.  It barely even sent text messages (and to send one was terribly difficult).  Half the time it didn't work because the minutes ran out or expired, and things have been so tight that I just couldn't add more.

Consequently, I have spent most of the last several months without a working cell phone-- a frustration to be sure.  Believe it or not, in this world where everyone is constantly connected to everything, I actually had some really mean things said to me because I didn't have a smartphone and couldn't check my e-mails the instant they arrived.  What a first-world problem, right? But I still managed to bite my tongue and plug in my dinosaur of a phone.

The funny thing is-- I was content with that dinosaur of a phone, because even though it was inconvenient sometimes, I didn't mind the simplicity of not being constantly connected to all the noise of life.

As it turns out, Paul's very old phone finally started to die (Yes, his was really old too, but newer than mine), and since that is his business phone, we had no choice but to purchase him a new phone.  Costco had a special that made the phones free, so my husband got me a new phone when he got his.  I couldn't believe it!

Can I tell you that I am loving my snazzy new phone?!  I've taken video of the kids' ball games and pictures of them at the beach.  I can even send a text message.  Imagine the wonders!!  I can text!  How's that for jumping into a whole new century!

It's like going from a tricycle to a Mercedes.

I am very thankful.  I was content with the old phone, but the new one seems like a wonderfully special little gift from God.

Yep, I was pedaling away and now I feel like I'm roaring along the information highway.

I still refuse to take it out of my pocket every two minutes, though.  A girl needs a scenic overlook on the information highway every so often, right?  It's just that now, when I stop to smell the roses, I can take a picture too!  And text it to you... (hee hee!)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I love mine too. I love the ability to take pictures and not have to carry my big bulky camera. My favorite thing is being able to Facetime with Andy when he calls me from work, and talk face to face (sort of) :)He's given me a tour of his office before, and that was fun!