"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Minion Cake

 It has been awhile since I posted any pictures, so I thought I would start with a recent cake!

Our family loves Despicable Me, so it was no surprise that Isaac wanted a minion cake for his birthday in April.  The second movie hadn't even come out yet, but our family had a ton of fun watching the trailers over and over.  In one scene, there is a fire on Gru's desk, and a minion comes in to put the fire out saying "Bee-doh, Bee-doh, Bee-doh."  Here is the "Bee-doh" Minion that Isaac wanted, complete with flashing lights.



I made several small layer cakes in little 6" round pans, and baked the top rounded part in a small glass bowl.    The frosting is just basic vanilla frosting tinted yellow (our family doesn't prefer the taste of fondant, so I always just use frosting!).  The eye is an oreo with one half of the cookie removed, and all the black details including the feet, hands, smile, hair, and goggle straps are black licorice.  The overalls are made with blue fruit roll-ups, the arms are yellow fruit roll-ups, and the tongue is Laffy Taffy.  Paul found some little battery-operated, clip-on backpack lights, so the red lights on the minion's head were actually flashing when Isaac came around the corner.  This may be my favorite cake yet!  The happy little minion makes me chuckle every time I look at him!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I almost called to see if you would help me make one of these for my nephew. He was here for his 10th birthday, and he LOVES minions. It was the week your parents were here, so it wouldn't have worked out. Instead we went all out on his decorations :)

Heidi said...

Kathy, I would have helped you make one if I hadn't been tied up with company that week. I saw the pictures of your decorations, and it looks like you had a great celebration! Sometime I'll bring a minion cake to a church potluck just for fun!