"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Friday, November 2, 2012

Of All the Funny Things...

Sometimes things happen that just make you laugh...

My kids joined a homeschool music association this year, and our oldest three are in beginning band.  I have played piano since I was a little girl, but I've never learned to play a band or orchestra instrument.  During the time I've been sitting in the band room over the last eight weeks, I have been fascinated to learn about all the different instruments.  I'm also so impressed with the fact that the band director knows how to play every single instrument!

This particular music association allows parents to take the classes for free, so I had decided that next year I would join the beginning band class and learn an instrument.  I hadn't picked an instrument yet, but I figured I would just spend the next several years in the beginning band and learn a new instrument each year-- just for the fun of it!

I was talking with the band director this last Tuesday, telling him how much I appreciate what my kids are learning.  I mentioned that I wanted to be in his band next year, and to my surprise, he said I could join now if I could find an instrument!  When I asked if he had a suggestion, he suggested trombone!

I have never pictured myself with a trombone.  French horn maybe, but trombone?

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be so fun to learn any instrument, including trombone.  I wrote to a friend that has played the trombone for many years to see if she had any suggestions or knew of any that I might borrow for a time.  As it turns out, she has one that I can use for awhile!

So I guess that now, for better or for worse, I'm going to learn the trombone!!  I just have to laugh.  This is going to be great fun!

Now instead of family practice sessions with a baritone, flute, and percussion (as well as the harmonica my parents sent to my youngest so he didn't feel left out), we will now have practice sessions with baritone, flute, percussion, harmonica, and trombone!

Oh, the noise and the joys!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.  This could be hilarious.

At any rate, it is another adventure for this piano teacher who is constantly preaching to her students to be life-long learners.

I guess it's time to take my own advice.

Heidi playing a trombone.  Of all the funny things!

1 comment:

Rettger family said...

Haha. I would love to hear this little band of instruments playing at your house!