"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pictures of the Latest Birthday Cakes

All of the kids have had birthdays in the last several months, so we've made some fun cakes to celebrate.  Josiah turned 11, Micah and Sarah turned 9, and Isaac turned 7.  How are they getting so big?  Didn't I just give birth to all of them yesterday?

I think we're up to 38 different cakes now including a couple that I've made for other events.  If you would like to see some of the other cakes we've made, you can check out the slide show entitled "Cakes, Cakes, and More Cakes" down on the right side, and you can also click on "Cakes" in my labels for pictures of more recent cakes that aren't in the slide show.

Here are the kids' most recent cakes:  (click any picture to enlarge!)

Josiah loves moose, so he asked for a moose cake.  I cheated and used figures for the moose because I truly had no idea how to do antlers in frosting!  The trees are sugar cones, and the logs are oreo straws.  The water is made with blue jello.



Sarah loves to play the piano, so she wanted a piano cake!

Micah LOVES the Denver Broncos, so to go along with last year's Broncos helmet,
 he asked for a Broncos jersey!



Isaac LOVES the Detroit Red Wings, so he asked for a very specific cake!  He wanted a polar bear in a Red Wings jersey with an octopus in front.  It is tradition in Detroit for people to throw octopi onto the ice after a goal.  The tradition goes back to when it took 8 playoff victories to win the championship.  The octopus is made with a lollipop and gummi worms.



Happy Birthday to the most wonderful kids I could ever imagine!



3 comments:

Heather Smith said...

So fun to see these, Heidi. You and Paul always do such a great job! Thanks for the pictures!

Love you,

Heather

Kathryn said...

You are amazing...I would love for you to show/tell me how you made the piano cake. Morgan would love that!

Heidi said...

Kathy, thank you for your nice words. I found the piano cake pattern online somewhere. It is a 9x13 cake cut in that shape. The music stand is a frosted graham cracker pushed down into the cake. (I think I cut a line in the cake first so I didn't break the cracker when I pushed it in.) Do the white frosting for the keys first, then add the black on the whole piano and thin lines for the black keys. I think thin black rope-licorice cut into tiny pieces would look really nice for the black keys too. I think I used a tip to build up the black frosting around the keys. Beware, though, because we all had purple teeth for about a week after the black and navy blue frosting!! :)