"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Saturday, July 21, 2012

When God Speaks Through a Bird's Nest...

Several weeks ago, I was sitting in the family room reflecting on a conversation with my sister in which she said she believes that each room in a house needs three things: something growing, something from nature, and something from the ocean.  As I looked at the room, I realized that while I already had a plant and had set out some of my favorite seashells, there was nothing from nature.

I didn't grow up loving nature like I do now, but in recent years the Lord has given me a deep love of the outdoors and the beautiful paintbrush that is expertly wielded by His Almighty hand.  I have to ponder-- Can you love the Creator without also coming to love His sovereign omnipotence so marvelously displayed in all things from the tiniest seed to the largest mountain?

In the midst of my ponderings,  I was suddenly inspired to begin my quest for something from nature to put on our large mantel.  I was still testing different arrangements and objects when Paul came in from outside and surveyed my progress.

"What I'd really like to have up there is a real bird's nest," I commented to that man that I love so well.  

"But... really," I had to ask myself, "How often do you come across an abandoned nest?"  I figured I'd just wait and keep my eyes open, and maybe someday I would find one. 

A few days later, Sarah and I decided to take a leisurely walk on a Sunday afternoon.  At one point, she looked over at a large tree and exclaimed, "Mama, look at this!"  On the ground underneath the tree was an empty little nest.  

I stood there absolutely amazed.  Could God have heard and fulfilled even my tiny longing for a bird's nest?

We brought it home, cleaned it out, zipped it up in a bag, and put it in the freezer for a few days in case there were any mites.  Now it sits on the mantel with a picture of a bird tucked up in the top.



I have spent much of the last several months poring over Matthew 6 almost every morning, finding promises that carry me through hard days, uncertain days.  As I've run to the Word, I've also looked out the window and watched the birds flit around the yard in the early morning sunshine.

"Look at the birds of the air, " Christ says to my fearful heart.
  "They neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns,
and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.
  Are you not of more value than they?"
Matthew 6:26

A few chapters later, He says,

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?
 And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.
  But even the hairs of your head are numbered. 
 Fear not, therefore;
 you are of more value than many sparrows."
Matthew 10: 29-31

I know He hears all of the little prayers and longings of each of our hearts, yet in the grand scheme of life, hard times, famines, wars, and other giant issues we face, a bird's nest for my mantel seems so tiny.

But is it really?

Day after day, night after night-- that nest sits on my mantel, and I think of these verses...

And His promises...

And my own fears that go flitting away as He says, "Look at the birds of the air..."

Can God really speak through a bird's nest?

Absolutely.

No comments: