"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Friday, December 30, 2011

Update on Paul's Surgery

Abundant thanks to all who have prayed us through this day.  The Lord heaped grace upon grace as the day unfolded, and I find myself overwhelmed at God's goodness to us tonight.  I just got home a few minutes ago, so I thought I would post a quick update.

Paul's surgery took a little more than three hours, but the surgeon seemed pleased with how it went.  A section of Paul's colon was very bad, but it was a smaller section than they originally anticipated.  The surgeon was also happy with the way he was able to join the remaining sections, so Paul does not have a temporary colostomy or any other complication of that nature.  That is a tremendous answer to prayer.  He has received excellent care all day, and when I left a few minutes ago, they were doing what they could to manage his pain level.

He will probably be in the hospital for about a week. (He bleeds maize and blue, so he's pretty bummed that he won't be home with our boys to watch Michigan play in the Sugar Bowl.)  I am blessed that his mom is here to care for our children, so I am free to minister to him and help him.  I'm sure the next few days will be rough, so we appreciate the continued prayers.

As I drove home tonight, I was thinking about all the tiny ways God showed his care for us today-- a lady at the hospital coffee bar early this morning who gave me coffee 35 minutes before she was supposed to open, the volunteer in the surgery waiting room who smiled and updated me regularly, our pastor who came so early to be with us and pray with us, a dear friend who came to sit with me and brought a little needlepoint to give me an outlet for my nervous energy, all of the e-mails and texts, and some other friends who came to the hospital or came to watch the kids so Paul's mom could spend a bit of time with him too.  It has been truly overwhelming, and I praise the Lord tonight.

As the surgeon finished giving me the update after the surgery, I thanked him and said, "I just want you to know that there are people all over the world that have been praying for you today."

He looked startled, and then said, "Thank you.  I probably needed it."

Don't we all.

My heart is absolutely overwhelmed by the love and care shown to us today by Christ and His children.  Thank you all for praying.

I will continue to post updates as Paul recovers.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Praise God! What a beautiful update! We certainly will continue to pray for Paul, you, his Mom, and the kids over this next week.

Lots of love!
Janet