"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Saturday, September 24, 2011

In the Fire

We are in the fire right now.  There's no ignoring it, no denying it, and very little we can do about it but pray and trust and cling to Christ and each other.  I don't know what our future holds, and quite frankly, the unknowns spark a range of emotions from being slightly unsettled to downright terrified.  I have struggled to comprehend some of the difficulties we have experienced since Paul came home from Iraq-- mostly difficulties relating to his health issues and our own financial situation.

I know we aren't alone, even though the heart is often slow to follow the head.  Christ said He would never leave us nor forsake us.  God said in Isaiah not to be afraid because He had called us by His name and we are His.  He promised that when we passed through the waters, He would be with us, when we passed through the floods they wouldn't sweep over us, and when we walked through the fire we wouldn't be burned, because we are precious in His sight.  He said He knows our frame and remembers that we are dust.  He said He would fulfill His purpose in us and be faithful to complete the good work He had begun.

So I cling to these promises like a child trying desperately to hang on to the monkey bars so she doesn't fall to the hard ground below.  The Spirit supports me and brings encouragement, just as a parent holds the child onto the bars so they can make it safely across without falling.

There aren't too many people that follow this little blog, and I keep it mostly as a place to write down things that the Lord is teaching me as we step heavenward day by day.  If the Lord happens to bring you to this post on this tiny blog, we would be grateful for your prayers for our family.

I do not know what God is doing, but I know He is doing something.

On that knowledge, I plod on...

7 comments:

Margie c said...

Greetings from Madison, WI! I don't remember how I came upon your little blog - but your story has been a blessing to me. I can speak to how God can send us "gifts in black paper"...it takes time & patience to see the "gift" part when we are feeling surrounded in black. Please know of my prayers - may our Heavenly Father wrap you in his love, show you HIS LIGHT and shower blessings upon you & your wonderful family - today and always. Amen.
Margie c (mczecho@charter.net)

Margie c said...

oops! I don't leave that many blog posts - so I am sure I did something wrong! i think I left you 3 copies of my post! Please have a good SMILE :-) on my continual learning curve -- God bless!

Heidi said...

Margie, thank you so much. I love the word picture of gifts in black paper. Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. Your words were an instrument of grace today.

Heidi

Janet said...

Hey girl! I assume you know, thru facebook, that Brian lost his job on Jan. 3rd along with 9 others in a NOT decent manner. It sure felt like the world caved in. When your husband works at your church and that happens.....you lose your church too - but especially the kids that suffer.

Heidi....Brian has now had a job for a month and it still isn't "all roses". We'll have to be careful since he changed his careers, but God has been amazing and has shown Himself every step of the way.

Praying that for you, friend!

Micah, Tiffany, Andrew, Elijah, Isaac, Eliana, and Isabella said...

I was nominated for a blog award and I want to share it with you! Come by my blog and check it out. Love to you, Heidi.

AGOG with God said...

I was just drawn to your little blog (from Southern California) because of Psalm 34:8. I will indeed be praying for you and your family

Heidi said...

To AGOG with God:

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. May the Lord bless you as well.