"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh, To Be Gifted

I was gifted today.

No, not gifted in the sense that I can calculate huge strings of numbers instantly or play Mendelssohn without practicing.  I'm definitely not gifted that way.

But I was gifted.  Blessed. Humbled.  Touched.  Given something amazing by someone who is definitely gifted.

Did that last sentence confuse you?

She is definitely gifted-- at giving.  I think it's one of her gifts-- her spiritual gifts, I mean.  She's given me meals.  She's given me phone calls to check up on how I'm doing.  She's given me huge bottles of my favorite detergent.  For many years she's given me her friendship, and most importantly, she gives me Scripture when I need to hear it.

And the way she gifted me today?

Today, she gave me the gift of a lovely new haircut and highlights.  


Did she know that I had secretly talked to the Lord about needing a haircut?  Is her gift in perceiving the needs people have, or is it just simply in listening when the Lord prompts her to do something?  Oh, that the Lord would open my eyes wider to perceive when there are ways that I can use my gifts.  Oh, that the Lord would build up in me the gift of giving.

I don't get to spend time with this gifted friend very often, but she I know she is there, using her gifts, loving the Lord, and inspiring me to give too.

So I sit here tonight praying that the Lord would give her His many good gifts in return.

2 comments:

Janet said...

AND you don't look a day past our college years!!

Heidi said...

Oh, Janet! Can't you see all those lines and creases?! I think the slightly grainy picture helps me look younger! I need some of your makeup tricks now! Love you, friend!