"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Concert Debut

Today I make my concert debut on the trombone.  I will get up there and play "Jingle Bells" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" with the Beginning Band and hope that the 9-year-old trombone player next to me doesn't laugh too much.  It is amazing the number of sounds that can come out of the end of a trombone!

I'm now totally convinced that every adult needs to try something completely new for the following two reasons:

First, it keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously.  I am seriously bad on the trombone, but in the midst of all the homeschooling and ministries and other heavy responsibilities, I am having a grand time learning to play it!

Second, for the sake of the little people in our lives, it helps us remember what a hard thing it is to learn something new.  When you can sit down at a piano and play a Chopin waltz "just because",  it is quite a humbling eye-opener to discover that "Jingle Bells" is such a difficult song.

I'll let you know how it goes and post some pictures in the next few days.  This should be good hilarious!


2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh would I have loved to see this!

Heidi said...

Kathy, it was fun (and funny) to be marching up in the midst of all the younger kids, but it went pretty well for a beginning band! Maybe you could come the next time we play! You would enjoy the concert, because all of the older groups are playing too. I'll send you the details. :)