"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Saturday, February 18, 2012

If George Muller Had a Credit Card

I have been spending a lot of time lately thinking about the way that God provides for His children and the way we often try to meet our own needs before we pray about them.

Through the fall, Paul's health difficulties took a huge toll on his law practice, and then he was unable to work for about six weeks because of the surgery.  We have been forced to cry out to the Lord for His provision for our family.  We couldn't even wrangle things around.  The money to pay bills simply wasn't there unless the Lord provided it miraculously.

It has been amazing to watch.  The situation seemed impossible, but nothing is impossible with God.  We have had checks come out of the blue, grocery gift cards left at the church office for us, and a number of other gifts-- from meals to shoes to clothes to a fuel card.  I find myself absolutely amazed and humbled at the way God continues to meet us in our time of need.  We have been brought to tears numerous times at the love poured out on us by God through His children.  I confess that I cry a lot these days, but they are mostly tears of joy at the way God has shown Himself to be so near and active in our lives-- both by healing Paul and providing for us while he has been out of commission.  I am truly in awe.  Each provision- no matter how big or small- increases my faith.

I think it is commonplace in our culture to just go and plunk down a credit card for the things we need.  I recently needed a pair of shoes, and I could have easily purchased them that way.  In fact, I'm so ashamed to think of all the times that I have done exactly that instead of praying for the thing I needed-- as if the God of all creation couldn't supply a pair of shoes or groceries or money for bills.  I prayed specifically for the shoes, and the Lord gave me money through a friend who said, "I know you are the kind of mom that takes care of everyone else first, but please take this money and get something YOU need."

My kids have a book called The Bandit of Ashley Downs that was written by Dave and Neta Jackson.  It tells the story of the great hero of the faith, George Muller.  The introduction says the following:

"George Muller founded an orphanage in Bristol, England, that at first cared for thirty children.  By faith, and without going into debt or revealing his financial needs to anyone but God, the orphanage grew until Muller had cared for more than ten thousand children during his lifetime."

Here is my question:  If George Muller had owned a credit card, would he be known for his great faith?

I'm going to be pondering this one for a long time...

No comments: