"O Taste and See that the Lord is good!" - Ps. 34:8

Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Forward-Fearing"

I spent some time talking with two friends yesterday, one of whom was another Army wife whose husband is deploying to Iraq very soon.  We started talking about how easy it is to imagine things that could happen in the future.  Once we begin imagining these things, then our thoughts become filled with fear and worry-- what I will call "forward-fearing".  One friend, Angela, brought up something that I had never really pondered before, but it has been on my mind ever since.
When we forward-fear, we are imagining what could happen and our reaction to it, but we imagine it completely based on our own ability to handle a situation.  One of my favorite passages is Hebrews 4:15-16-- "For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.  Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."(NASV)  One giant problem with forward-fearing is that it occurs in the mind absent the grace and help that God would be giving us if we were really going through that situation.  God tells us in those verses that in Him we will find grace to help in the time of need, not in the time we imagine a "what-if".  We are to take no thought for tomorrow, so forward-fearing is a sin and a lack of faith in GOD's ability to handle whatever situation comes into our lives.
This has been a great truth to digest, because it is easy to let my mind run away, especially right now with my husband gone.  However, I am commanded to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.  Three truths stop my "forward-fearing".  First, nothing happens outside of God's control of even the tiniest details.  Second,  He will never leave me or forsake me.  And third, whatever comes, I can draw near with confidence to find mercy and grace in any situation or need.  I won't go through anything without the grace of God sustaining me.
What a great blessing to ponder today! 

No comments: